General Information on Marriage in Hong Kong by Australian Nationals

A marriage that is performed legally in Hong Kong will be recognised by law in Australia , provided that the marriage would also be recognised under Australian law.

Once you are married in Hong Kong , the authority performing the marriage say the civil celebrant of marriages or the Government's Marriage Registry will issue an official marriage certificate which is biligual (English and Chinese). You do not need to register your marriage again in Australia . However if you intend to use your marriage certificate in Australia , you may have to contact the Notary Public to arrange for an official notarised copy of the certificate.

Taking your partner to Australia

All enquiries about taking your partner back to Australia should be directed to the Department of Immigration, Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA).